Year-End Tax Savings Strategies 


A Guide to Year-End Planning

Giving a gift to Valpo of appreciated securities is a relatively simple way to fulfill your year-end charitable goals and avoid paying tax on capital gain.  To request a brochure with much more useful information about year end planning, please e-mail a request (include your name and mailing address) to

Gifts of Stock

A gift of publicly traded stock can be one of the most advantageous ways of giving. In addition to receiving an income tax charitable deduction, if you make a gift of stock held for over one year, you avoid capital gains tax. 

How to Give Stock to Valpo

The simplest way to transfer stock to Valpo is electronicall through the University’s Merrill Lynch brokerage account. To transfer securities to Valparaiso University via DTC, please use the following instructions:
             - Depository Trust Co. (DTC) Number: 5198
             - Valpo’s Marrill Lynch Account number: 629-04002
             - University Tax ID#: 35-0868125
             - Donor Name & Address

In order to promptly and accurately credit a security gift to the appropriate donor, it is essential that the transfer instructions include the donor’s name and address. Without this information we are occasionally unable to identify the donors of certain securities. Please call the Advancement Services office at 219.464.5110 to notify Valpo of your transfer.

If you or your broker requires further information, please contact Mark Ennes, CRPC VP /  Wealth Management Advisor, at Merrell Lynch  You can also review Valpo’s informational guide on gifting securities.

In order for your gift to qualify for 2016 tax treatment, the gift must be received by Valparaiso University no later than December 31, 2016.

Thank you for your tremendous support of Valpo!


Valparaiso University as an institution does not advise on any personal income tax requirements or issues. Use of any information from
this site or any other web site referred to is for general information only and does not represent personal tax advice either express or implied.
You are encouraged to seek professional tax advice for personal income tax questions and assistance.